We use our Floriani Red Flint Corn to make a fabulous, rich, creamy polenta, though it can be made with any flint corn cultivar.
Traditional Polenta Recipe
- 1 part coarsely ground flint corn
- 3 parts water
- tablespoon of butter
- pinch of salt
- some people add cheese!
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil
- Add a pinch of salt
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of corn meal
- Add a tablespoon of butter
- Simmer as low as possible for at least an hour, two if you have time
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan
You may have to add a little water to maintain desired consistency. As shown in the photo below, we like our polenta thick enough to stay in place when served!
Should you have extra polenta, thicken with a bit of flour to form patties and form patties. Fry both sides in hot oil. Serve with a drizzle of maple or sorghum syrup for breakfast.
Have extra polenta? Use it to make these yummy Polenta Cakes!
Have you made this recipe? We'd love to hear from you! Please email Seeds at GreatLakesStapleSeeds dot com with pictures and/or feedback!