The addition of Ark of Taste variety White Velvet Okra to our garden this year lead to an exploration of recipes for its use. This quick and easy recipe turning its pods into crispy, irresistible "coins" is a winner with the family. The simplicity of this recipe lends itself well to personalization.
Crispy Okra Coins
- okra pods
- ground cornmeal
- seasoning to taste
- oil for deep frying
- condiments of choice for serving
- Cut okra into ~1/4 inch circles - “coins” (the batch shown is ~7 ounces of okra)
- Rinse the okra coins in a colander and allow excess water to drip away (coins are still a bit wet)
- In a separate bowl, combine ground cornmeal with seasonings of choice (I used seasoned salt, ground fried garlic, ground fried onion, and an herb blend)
- In small batches, transfer okra coins to the cornmeal mix, gently stir until well coated, remove and set aside
- Bring cooking oil to 350° F – We prefer to deep fry in a cast iron dutch oven using a candy thermometer to monitor oil temperature
- In small batches, carefully transfer coated okra coins to the hot oil and fry until golden brown
- Remove from oil with a slotted skimmer to a plate lined with paper towels
- Serve warm - Enjoy!
Have a favorite way to enjoy okra? Please email it to Seeds@GreatLakesStapleSeeds.com; we'd love to feature it!