Recommended Alternative Suppliers
Looking for larger quantities of beans than what we offer? We highly recommend contacting the good folks at Sheridan Acres. Fellow bean enthusiast Kevin represents the 4th generation to grow heirloom beans on his family's farm in Michigan's Thumb region.
John Sherck, Indiana seedsman, mentor and friend, of Sherck Seeds truly is the Gold Standard when it comes to upland rice cultivated in cold temperate climates.
Charlie of Wisconsin's Anarchy Acres is a good source for regionally appropriate wheat in quantities larger than we can supply.
We realize our focused inventory won't satisfy all your seed desires. Please consider supporting these companies in our Great Lakes region to meet those other needs. (Yes, I am aware of quite a few additional worthy seed houses that are not on this list. Their omission is purely the result of an intentional focus on producers in our Great Lakes region.)
- Ann Arbor Seed Company - Eric and Meredith provide seed from a burgeoning collection of open-pollinated vegetable and ornamental varieties.
- Happy Cat Farm - Pennsylvania based Tim and Amy started growing every heirloom or open pollinated seed they could get there green thumbs on, so started Happy Cat Organics.
- Nature & Nurture Seeds - Erica and Mike operate a certified organic farm-based seed company in Michigan that features regionally adapted varieties.
- Small House Farm - the Cohens are a seed enthusiastic family offering a wonderful collection of Michigan grown seeds.
- The Garden Hoard - Michigan based seed supplier that propagates heirloom seeds for a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, flowers and herbs.
- North Circle Seeds - Minnesota based circle of growers producing regionally adapted seed using sustainable and organic practices.
- Fruition Seeds - a like-minded seed company in New York's Finger Lakes region offering varieties for short-season gardens.
- Hudson Valley Seed Company - an inspirational seed company also in New York State.
- TrueLove Seeds - a Philly PA based company focusing on rare, open pollinated, and culturally important vegetable, herb, and flower seeds.
- Turtle Tree Seed - yet another New York State seed company worthy of our support.
Hang on - didn't I just list my competitors?!? No, I list wonderful regional small-scale seed houses whose passionate labors of love result in the finest selection of top quality, regionally appropriate seeds, well deserving of their space in our gardens.