Classic Homemade Caramel Kettle Corn Recipe
Quick and easy, this classic homemade caramel kettle corn recipe, ooey-gooey yummy fresh from the oven, is a tasty way to enjoy your homegrown New York Amish Mushroom Popcorn.
4 quarts popped NY Amish Mushroom Popcorn, sorted to remove half-pops
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup syrup (see Note)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Note: syrup can be sorghum syrup, molasses, or Karo syrup; I used our sorghum syrup.
- Preheat oven to 250ºF (120ºC)
- Line a shallow roasting pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Add the popcorn and place in preheated oven while making the caramel sauce.
- Over medium heat, in a heavy saucepan combine brown sugar, syrup, butter, and salt; bring sauce to boil, stirring constantly.
- Stop stirring and continue to boil the sauce for five more minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and mix in the baking soda and vanilla until well combined.
- Remove popcorn pan from oven; drizzle caramel sauce over the popcorn while stirring to coat evenly.
- Return popcorn to oven and bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from oven and spread popcorn over parchment paper (or silicone sheet, or similar) to cool.
- Break apart and enjoy!
- Store what's left (if any!) in a tightly covered container.
To me popcorn evokes quite a few memories including this that combines a favorite snack with a favorite chef. So without further ado - Pöpcørn!